The government had set a deadline for updating Aadhaar details for free, which ended on June 14. However, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has made an important decision. They have extended the deadline for another three months to allow people to update Aadhaar for free. Initially, the free update opportunity was available from March 15, but it concluded on June 14. UIDAI recently announced that the new deadline is September 14. After this extended deadline, individuals may need to pay a fee to update their Aadhaar details.
As per the rules of UIDAI, it is necessary to update Aadhaar details every ten years. This requires submitting the required proof documents. The option to update Aadhaar details for free (Free Aadhaar Update) is available exclusively through the ‘My Aadhaar‘ portal. It allows changes to be made to name, date of birth, and address. Once the free update period is over, individuals can still update their Aadhaar by visiting centers and paying a fee of Rs. 50, just like before.
To update your Aadhaar details, follow these simple steps:
- Visit the website https://myaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/ and log in using your Aadhaar number.
- Look for the option “Proceed to Update Address” and click on it.
- An OTP (One-Time Password) will be sent to your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP when prompted.
- After entering the OTP, click on “Update Document“. The existing details will be displayed on the screen. If any changes are required, make the necessary amendments. Otherwise, verify the existing details and click on “Next”.
- In the dropdown list that appears, select the appropriate documents for proof of identity and proof of address.
- Scan the copies of the respective documents and upload them. Then, click on “Submit“.
- A 14-digit “Update Request Number” will be generated. You can use this number to check the status of your update from time to time.